- 1 clove garlic
- 1 brown onion, halved
- 50g duck fat, ghee or coconut oil
- 150g free range, nitrate free bacon eg Henderson bacon from Pak n Save (weigh after removing bacon rind)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups mixed veggies (approx) - eg. sliced carrots, broccoli florets, brussel sprouts halved, sliced zucchini, peas (see variation below for using leftover cooked veggies)
- 2 cups (600g) leftover cauliflower mash (approx)
- Place garlic into Thermomix bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 7.
- Add onion and bacon and chop 2 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of bowl with a spatula.
- Add fat (or ghee or oil), and broth (or water and paste). Place Varoma on top and add veggies to Varoma.
- Cook 20 mins/Varoma/rev/sp 1, or until veges are soft.
- Set Varoma aside, and add cauliflower mash to bowl. Cook 5 mins/Varoma/rev/sp 1.
- Mix soup and veggies together in large serving bowl and season to taste. (If you don't have a bowl big enough, spoon veggies into bowls, and pour over soup.)
- Mince garlic, chop bacon and onion and place all into a large pot on the stove.
- Add fat (or ghee or oil) and broth (or water and stock paste) and cook for about 10 mins, covered, or until meat is cooked and onion is soft.
- Add cauliflower mash and veggies, and simmer until heated through, stirring now and then, for about 15 more mins. (If using leftover veggies, simmer for 5-10 mins, or until warmed through.)
- Season to taste.
To use leftover veggies, place them in the Varoma after the soup has cooked for 10 mins, so they warm up in the last 10 mins of cooking time.
You can use as many veggies as you like in this soup, whatever fits into the Varoma. Just remember to poke a hole in the middle of the veggies before cooking, so that the steam can get through.
Swap the bacon for about 2 cups of sliced mushrooms. After chopping the onion and garlic, add mushrooms with ghee or coconut oil and cook 3 mins /Varoma/reverse/speed 1 (or sauté in pan for stovetop method), then add broth and continue with recipe.
By Quirky Cooking